Site Map | Faculty Intranet | Staff Intranet | Student Intranet |

International Students

You are here

The University of Michigan is committed to international education. Students from countries all over the world come to the University of Michigan for graduate school. The University is equally dedicated to those students who wish to study and work abroad. The International Center was developed as a central area for information on international issues.

International students, particularly MSE students, should lay out their course plan when they arrive to campus in the first semester based on their timeline for graduation.  We encourage all students to meet with the ME Graduate Coordinator to discuss individual situations.  If you complete all of your requirements in three semesters and wish to stay a fourth semester, the ME department will not support an extension of your visa because you do not have any credits left to complete. To avoid this complication, please ensure that you are planning ahead. Likewise, the ME department will not support a reduced course load letter if the remainder of the student's courses are not needed to complete the MSE degree.

International Center 

The International Center provides a variety of services for international students. The International Center's website contains important information on a number of topics, including visas, financial aid, health insurance, employment questions, and student organizations.  This should be your first stop for any issues concerning your immigration status.

The International Center offers events and workshops throughout the year on topics of interest to international students and scholars, U-M department administrators, and domestic students seeking information on studying, working, or traveling abroad. View a list of the topics.


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) in the ME Department

Any student intending to undertake CPT status during periods of internship or employment off-campus needs to first read through the materials on the International Center's website. There are two separate processes involved with applying and completing CPT. One is the process of getting a new I-20 through the International Center and the other is enrolling in Rackham 998 for 1 credit.  Both processes begin after you have received a formal offer letter from the employer.  The sooner you can get this process started the better as it is not unusual for students to have to delay the start of their internship because paperwork is not complete.

Follow these steps:

    1.  A rationale for how the internship experience is important to the student's academic career.
    2. The offer letter from the employer stating at minimum: the employer's name, your position title, and the duration of your internship.
    3. The number of credits you have left to complete in your graduate program.
    4. In what term you plan to complete your graduate program (anticipated).
    5. For PhD students: The CPT recommendation form and letter of support signed by your advisor.
  • Upon completion of the petition, the Graduate Coordinator will begin working on your CPT Advisor Recommendation Form (for MSE students).  If necessary, the Graduate Coordinator will reach out to you with questions or to set up a meeting.
  • The ME Graduate Coordinator will review and provide all documents to the Graduate Chair for review and approval.
  • The Graduate Chair Reviews and a decision is sent to the student:
    1. If denied, the student is made aware of the result and the reason for the decision. Copies of all documents must be kept in the student's file.  The process ends here.
    2. If approved, the student is made aware of the result. The documents are then returned to the student (via pick-up from the ME ASO). After pick up, the student will bring all forms to the IC and simultaneously begin the process for Rackham 998 registration.

Registering for Rackham 998:

The student emails ALL documents as one single PDF to Gail Carr ( at Integrative Systems + Design (ISD). The documents include:

  • Online course completion certificate
  • Advisor recommendation form
  • Job offer letter (which must include a beginning and end date)
  • A copy of the student's most recent unofficial transcript
  • A copy of the student's most recent I-20 and I-94 forms

The ISD office will approve the request, verify all documents, and forward the enrollment request to the Registrar's Office (RO). The RO will enroll the student in Rackham 998 for 1 credit. Students cannot self-enroll in this course.  The course is graded S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory). This course does not meet any requirements for the MSE or PhD Degrees. 

If the student is participating in a Rackham 998 project in the Sp/Su term, the RO will enroll the student in the previous Winter term.  

At the conclusion of CPT, students must submit a report summary of their work or internship experience in order to receive a "S" (satisfactory) letter grade. The report must be emailed to Gail Carr.


Optional Practical Training (OPT) in the ME Department

International students interested in persuing work in the United States after graduation from the MSE or PhD programs, must receive OPT.  Instructions for OPT can be found on the International Center's website.  There is only one component that you will need from the ME Department, this is an OPT recommendation letter from the department stating that you are a student in good standing and your final term of enrollment.  The ME Graduate Coordinator can assist with this via email.

To request an "OPT Letter," email and the ME Graduate Coordinator will return your letter to you via email.

International PhD students graduating in the Grace Period should also refer to the information on the International Center's website.

As an engineering student, you are also eligible for the OPT STEM extension.  Other requirements and instructions for the STEM extension can be found on the International Center's website.


I-20 Extensions in the ME Department

Information about the I-20 Extension Process can be found on the International Center's website.  If you are in need of an I-20 extension, you must meet with the ME Graduate Coordinator to discuss this.  Email to schedule an appointment.

For MSE students:

During this meeting you will discuss the rationale for your extension and work on completing the I-20 Extension Advisor Recommendation Form.  Part of this meeting will be reviewing your degree audit to ensure that you still have requirements left to complete.  Your extension will not be approved if you do not have requirements left to complete.  If the ME Graduate Coordinator approves, they will pass your I-20 Extension form on to the Graduate Chair for signature.  Once approved and signed, you will be emailed to pick the form up from ASO.  You will then bring the form and all other required documents to the International Center.

For PhD students:

The first step to extending your I-20 is to get your advisor's signature on the I-20 Extension Advisor Recommendation Form.  Bring this form to your meeting with the ME Graduate Coordinator, where it will be reviewed for accuracy.  If all looks accurate, the ME Graduate Coordinator will email your advisor to verify their consent and funding for the duration of your I-20 extension.  Upon reply, Human Resources will write your financial memo from the department (which is also needed as part of your I-20 Extension).  HR will return it to the ME Graduate Coordinator who will then let you know that both your I-20 Extension Advisor Recommendation Form and financial memo are ready for you to pick up from ASO.  You will then bring the form and all other required documents to the International Center.

English Language Institute

The English Language Institute (ELI) is a valuable English language development resource for students attending the University of Michigan. Students who desire additional instruction or who are looking to become more proficient in the English language can take courses offered by the ELI. In addition, international PhD students are encouraged to utilize ELI resources to prepare for the GSI Oral English Test 

The mission of the English Language Institute Instructional Division is to provide English language instruction to members of the University of Michigan community that promotes effective intercultural communication within the academic community at the University of Michigan. The Instructional Division offers credit bearing courses and support services in English for Academic Purposes in order to teach undergraduate and graduate students the language they need to become fully participating members of the academic community. The Instructional Division educates both undergraduate and graduate students in pedagogical discourse and intercultural skills for teaching at the University of Michigan, in the community, and abroad.  The Instructional Division works in collaboration with other units throughout the university in support of the University's vision of an internationalized academic community.