Site Map | Faculty Intranet | Staff Intranet | Student Intranet |

Frequently Asked Questions

You are here

Q: Recently I discovered that due to AP credit, I have 55 credits and am therefore classified as a Junior. Many of these credits are not counted toward my degree requirement. Is there a way that I can withdraw credits granted from one or two of my AP tests in order to drop me to Sophomore class standing?

A: Per the Registration section of the CoE Bulletin, the CoE has the following rule: "Students should be aware that receiving test or transfer credit can have an impact on tuition, because tuition increases once a student has Junior or Senior standing (55 credit hours or more). Credit will not be removed from the transcript for the purpose of lowering tuition. Students are responsible for reviewing their transcript when credits are posted and asking for removal of any credits within their first term at the University of Michigan. Note also that credit is always posted for the term in which it was earned, not the term in which it was posted; the posting of credit can therefore have a retroactive impact on tuition owed. Current students should carefully consider this issue before asking for credit to be posted on their transcript." If you are within your first term at the U of M, you may request that the College of Engineering Credit Evaluation Office remove any credits that you do not need.

College of Engineering - Credit Evaluation
1108 Lurie Engineering Center
1221 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2102
(734) 647-7153

Q: How do I enroll in Independent Study - ME 290, 390 or 490 (called RISE: Research Innovation Service and Entrepreneurship)?

AFirst, you will want to locate a professor who will supervise your Independent Study. To find a professor who is completing research in an area you're interested in, check out the Research section of the ME website. Once you have identified a professor, it is suggested that you email and/or visit their office hours to discuss the possibility of completing a RISE Project with them. Upon their agreement to oversee your RISE experience, the student should complete two steps: 1) Submit a proposal using the RISE link at least one week before the Add/Drop deadline of the semester.

After you submit your proposal, your professor and the Undergraduate Chair will review the proposal and either approve it or deny it. If it is denied, they will provide you with feedback and you can submit a new proposal. 2) The student is required to register for the appropriate section of RISE (290,390 or 490) on Wolverine Access before submitting their proposal a week before the Add/Drop deadline. 

Please note: Submitting your proposal does NOT automatically register you for the class. 

You must complete the requirement as outlined on the RISE Requirements page.

If you are having trouble enrolling in RISE projects (290, 390, 490) via Wolverine Access, try watching this informative video.

Q: How do I apply for CPT?

A: You will first need to take the CPT Online Certification Course and print your course completion certificate. Please provide the ME Academic Services Office with the following documentation:

  • A copy of your unofficial transcript from Wolverine Access
  • A copy of the job offer letter from the employer, including location, start/end dates (requirements for the letter found here)
  • A copy of your current I-20, page 1 & 3 only
  • A copy of your most recent I-94 card (front side only)
  • A CPT letter from the ME ASO*

*To request a CPT letter, please visit or email the ASO and fill out a Letter Request Form. Your letter will be ready in 5-7 business days. After you have all of the required documentation, you can take it to the International Center to be turned in.


Q: I'm on a waitlist for a course, how do I get an override?

A: First, if the course is not a Mechanical Engineering course, you will need to contact the department that offers the course and ask them about their override policies. ME can only process overrides for ME courses. If it is an ME course, please send an email to with your name, UM-ID number, and your desired lecture/section/lab/discussion number(s), as applicable. All override requests are handled via e-mail, so you do not need to stop by the Academic Services Office. Please note that we receive hundreds of override requests once registration begins, they are handled in the order they're received, and we process override requests as soon as possible.

  • You must have a valid time conflict to receive an override.
  • The advising team has access to your class schedule, so please be accurate and considerate of other students who may need a certain section of a course.
  • Course overrides will not be provided due to personal preferences, such as, "I'm not a morning person. I prefer to not have classes before 10am."
  • Being #1 on the waitlist does not ensure you will receive an override for a course. Many factors are considered -- such as class standing, if the student needs the class to graduate this term, etc. -- before an override is issued.


Q: How do I drop, add, or change a course to pass/fail?

A: First, you will want to check the Registrar's Office Student Registration Deadlines and find the Add/Drop deadlines. If it is before the Add/Drop deadline, then you can add, drop, or modify a course on Wolverine Access. If it is after the Add/Drop deadline, you will have to come into the ASO and pick up an Add/Drop/Modify form. If you are adding or dropping a course, the professor will need to sign the form and you will also need an ASO staff member to sign the form. If you are changing a course to pass/fail, then only a staff member needs to sign it. After you have the required signatures, you can turn the form into the Engineering Records Office in 145A Chrysler. If you drop a course after the Add/Drop deadline, you will receive a "W" on your transcript, indicating that you withdrew from the course later in the term. Note that after the "Add/Drop without petition" deadline you can no longer add, drop, or modify a course without submitting a petition to the Undergraduate Chair.


Q: I took a course that should count as a technical elective/advanced math/etc... but it's not counting it correctly on my degree audit. What should I do?

A: To resolve this issue, you should send an email to, stating the subject and number of the course in question and what category you believe it should count under. One of the program advisors will then verify that the course has not been counted properly and will manually grant an exception in the degree audit system. You do not need to come into the ASO as all of our exception requests are handled through email.


Q: How do I know if a course is a Humanity or Social Science?

A: To check if a course is a humanity or social science, you will need to go to the LS&A Course Guide and find the course that you are interested in. In the course description, there is a category labeled "Reqs". If, under Reqs, it says HU, then the course is a humanity. If it says SS, then the course is a social science.


Q: What are LACs and PCDCs?

A: LACs are Liberal Arts Courses and include any course marked as SS or HU in the LS&A Course Guide. There are also a number of subjects that, even if the course is not marked as SS or HU, will count as LACs. The full list of these subjects can be found here. PCDCs are Professional and Creative Development Courses and are not required to complete your Intellectual Breadth. However, up to four credits of PCDCs can be counted towards your Intellectual Breadth requirements. PCDCs include courses taught in the Art, Business, Architecture, and Music schools. A full listing of schools that offer PCDCs can be found here. 

Q: I heard that LS&A students can only transfer up to 60 credits from another institution for their undergraduate program. Does this apply to College of Engineering students as well?

A: No, there is no restriction on the number of credits that a CoE student may transfer from another institution. However, each student still has to fulfill the residency requirement by taking a minimum of 50 credits at UofM - Ann Arbor. Also, 30 of these credits must be technical courses at the 300 level or above. Please refer to the Transferring Credit section of the Undergrad Handbook for more details.